The first project from the Open Quill Foundation
An Initiative to Publish a Compendium of Short Stories that Bring the Genesis Era of the Lootverse to Life
Through a no-strings attached writing grants program and Open Quill’s on-chain publishing system, we are creating a community-crafted book that will be published on-chain, online and in stores.
Led by the Genesis Scrolls Steering Committee, our goal is to bring the Lootverse to life and provide story seeds that inspire creators for years to come.
By a decentralized community of writers and creators.
Story seeds that can serve as inspiration for future writers and builders.
Published On-Chain & as a Physical Book
Our goal: to publish the first decentralized, public domain short story compendium.
Writing Grant Rounds for the Genesis Scrolls
Writing grants were delivered across multiple “rounds,” where the eligible submissions received within the submission window for reach round were considered for a grant.
What is CC0?
Why are submissions required to be CC0?
Is there a template for submissions?
Do you have any ideas or seeds for submissions?
- Go here to read all about Loot and the Loot timeline.
- Go here to see specific story seeds.
- See below for ideas for types of stories:
- A 1st person diary
- A compendium of the Realms, their names and resources and brief histories
- Journals and diaries from early Adventurers
- A book of poems from the Genesis Era
- Letters between adventurers
- A full story with a 3rd person narrator
- A compendium of character studies
- A collection of snippets and scraps
- A retelling of a story of one individual protagonist
- An epic novel that spans a whole society
- A text in an unknown language that we need to translate and decipher
- or more....
What kind of “stories” are we talking about?
We imagine that this book will have 20-30 short stories and short form content that span character studies, diary entries, poems, fiction and nonfiction and anything that the community dreams up. There is no minimum or maximum word count but expect that competitive submissions would fall between 5000 and 10,000 words. However, above all, the steering committee looking for quality of story and execution of the prompt regardless of word count.
What is Loot or Lootverse?
- Imagine Star Wars or Game of Thrones, but instead of being owned by Disney or HBO, the project is directly steered, developed and owned by a community of builders and creators and participants.
- Launched in August 2021 by Dom Hoffman, Loot is an on-chain composable NFT project that provides the canonical seeds for a sci-fantasy universe: the Lootverse.
- The Lootverse is comprised of a network of interconnected projects built on Loot’s canonical foundation.
- Across the Lootverse, a decentralized community of tens of thousands of builders, developers, writers, designers, artists and active participants have come together to build games, multimedia content, art, interactive media projects, written stories, and more.
- So far since August, there has been over 85,000 ETH (>$250M USD) in trading volume across Loot and the top five Lootverse projects alone.
- Select Lootverse projects include Loot, Realms, Genesis Project, Crypts & Caverns, DivineDAO, The Crypt, HyperLoot, Loot Explorers, Banners, and many more.
What is a “Genesis Scroll?”
What does it mean to “publish a compendium of short stories?”
As a community, we intend to collect and publish a compendium of short stories that help bring the Lootverse to life, starting with the “Genesis Era” time period.
Is this going to be delivered as an NFT?
The plan is to collect and publish a set of short stories and make them CC0 (public domain). We may deliver them in a fun way that involves NFTs, or may leave that open-ended for the community. As CC0 content, all are invited to adapt, expand and use these stories in infinite creative ways.
“No-strings-attached writing grants — this seems too good to be true. Why are you doing this?”
We believe in the vision of the Lootverse as the first globally-scaled, decentralized, community-crafted sci-fantasy ecosystem that brings together the next generation of writers, creators and builders.
We believe that if we provide a foundation of rich, high fidelity stories of the “early days” of the Lootverse, we can plant seeds in hearts and minds that will grow into infinite directions that collectively will bring our dream of the Lootverse to life.